Thursday, June 14, 2012

"Were not our hearts burning within us?" Luke 13:32

     The grieving disciples walked on the road to Emmaus after Jesus death. In their grief, confusion, anger and fear they experienced the resurrected Christ as a stranger who walked with them along the way. The stranger opened the scriptures up to them, blessed and broke bread with them, and their eyes were opened. They then recognized Christ in their midst. They said, "Were not our hearts burning within us?"
     That's exactly how I felt last Saturday at the prayer service for Father Bill at St. Joseph Catholic Church. It was one of the most moving spiritual experiences of my life. I am confidant that I will always remember the love of Christ I experienced in the eyes and hearts of the community that day. I am extremely grateful that Father Bill invited me to play a part in the celebration of his 50th Anniversary of his ordination.
     It's almost impossible for me to express the depth and intimacy of Spirit that I experienced. I was blessed, touched, and encouraged by the young Catholic people who opened up the scriptures and shared their reflectioins from the pulpit. To be included as a speaker among them was an incredible experience. As an ordained woman in the Protestant Church, I was simultaneously humbled and empowered to be speaking from the pulpit in the Catholic Church.
     The most lovely gift however, came in serving the bread of life, the Body of Christ, to the beautiful people who were gathered in Spirit. Yes, our hearts were burning within us and the presence of Christ was overwhelming as they held out their hands and I shared the bread with my Catholic sisters and brothers.
     Then came the children and just as the prophet Isaiah said, "a little child shall lead them."  Nicole Schilling and her little dancers led us right into the Kingdom, power and glory of God as they danced to "We are the world, we are the children."
There comes a time when we heed a certain call
When the world must come together as one
There are people dying, and its time to lend a hand to life
The greatest gift of all
We can't go on pretending day by day
That someone, somehow will soon make a change
We are all a part of Gods great big family
And the truth, you know, Love is all we need.
[Chorus]
We are the world, we are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day So lets start giving
There's a choice we're making. We're saving our own lives.
Its true we'll make a better day, Just you and me.
     As Paul said, "There is no longer Jew or Greek, slave or free, male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus."
Sometimes (but not always), I am happy to be in agreement with Paul.
Peace,
Deb



No comments:

Post a Comment